Records Management Policies and Standard
The organization within Digital Collections is as follows: Items (individual digital assets) are part of a defined Collection; Collections reside in the Digital Collections.Collections Defined for Instructional Support Purposes Only
A collection level record will be added to the UB Libraries Catalog only; the record will not be added to OCLC WorldCat. The collection level record will be informational, i.e., it will identify the collection and contributing department, describe the type of material included, and provide access information.
Access to individual images will be through Digital Collections; there will be no catalog records for individual images.Other Collections
- A collection level record will be added to the UB Libraries Catalog and to OCLC WorldCat. The collection level record will be full MARC containing all appropriate descriptive elements and providing subject access. A URL to the project in Digital Collections will be part of the record.
- When a collection consists solely of complete reproductions of monographs or serial volumes, a full MARC record describing each monograph and serial title is mandatory.
- The decision to have catalog records for individual items within a collection of photographs, maps, posters, broadsides, memorabilia or other types of ephemera will be made by the contributing department,library or special collection in consultation with the Digital Collections Team. The number of items included in the collection and the perceived benefit of item level catalog records should be determining factors in deciding between access through Digital Collections only or through the UB Libraries Catalog and OCLC WorldCat in addition to Digital Collections. A decision to have catalog records for individual items must be made at the collection level, i.e., all images have individual catalog records or none of them do.
- An alternative to catalog records for individual digital objects in collections consisting of material other than monographs or serial volumes is the creation of two or more sub-collection records. These would be full MARC records added to both the UB Libraries Catalog and OCLC WorldCat.
- Any catalog records for individual digital objects will be harvested by OCLC from Digital Collections, converting Dublin Core records to MARC with the MARC records exported to the UB Libraries Catalog, or (should future OCLC system development support it) MARC records created in OCLC Connexion and converted to Dublin Core and added to CONTENTdm (or other system).